On October 25,1954 Life magazine wrote about the installation of the Hereford Sculpture in Kansas City.
A trailer truck rode through Kansas City, Mo. last week bearing a bull destined to achieve great heights. The bull, a Hereford from New Jersey, stands 12 feet high, weighs 5,550 pounds and has plastic flesh atop steel bones. It was designed to stand atop a 90-foot pylon in front of American Hereford Association headquarters near the stockyards. First the association mock-solemnly debated whether the model would present its white fore or its ample rear to nearby Kansas City, Kan, Then the great model was ceremoniously hoisted to its strictly neutral north-south position where, illuminated from within by intestinal neon tubing, it will doubtless provoke countless cornfed jokes about beef being still high.
Commissioned by the National Hereford Association upon construction of their office building, designed by Joseph Radotinsky. The artist was employed by the sculpture firm of Rochetti & Parzini. Four models were involved in making the bull. Rohm & Hass Company of Philadelphia and Bigelow-Sanford Carpet company assisted with the model. Although plaque gives dedication date as Oct. 16, 1953, reporting source and attached sources give date as Oct. 18, 1954. The National Hereford Association office building was purchased by DST Inc. in 1985. The bull was then renovated by Dale Meyer of the architectural firm of Hays & Meyer. New exterior coating was added, and the interior fluorescent lights were replaced by 188 neon lights. Floodlights were added to the base of the pylon.