PSA: Does Kansas City Owe You An E-Tax Refund?

It’s time for my annual Public Service Announcement about checking your eligibility for the Kansas City, Missouri Earnings Tax refund. From the point of view of someone who doesn’t reside in the KCMO but is unfortunate to work there, the Earnings Tax is a way to confiscate 1% of a person’s gross income and hand it over to what what one blog refers to as a “privileged class”, so they can continue to enjoy a tax free lifestyle.

Without having to repeat my views on the subject which I’ve previously described in great detail, I will just provide a link to the tax forms you need to fill out to get a refund for the days you worked outside the city limits. You will need to fill out forms RD-109 and RD-109NR which states: “Nonresidents who work both inside and outside the city can make a deduction of salary based on whole days worked out of the city”. The second form has an instruction page describing the calculations and all the necessary documentation (which doesn’t need to be mailed in) such as appointment and travel records.

Unless you work outside the city limits often, your refund will probably not be huge, but any amount is better residing in your pocket than subsidizing someone’s trips to the P&L. Every day you worked outside KCMO counts – training, off-site work, conferences, work-related travel, etc., will chip away at the amount you owe. Your tax program does not include these forms and the City does a good job of not advertising the refund availability.

Don’t hold your breath for the e-tax to be voted down any time soon – get your money back today!